Tuesday, August 20, 2013

5 things I like about Brussels:

Hi everyone! I'm Cait, and I finally remembered to start writing blog posts, which I have been forgetting to do for two weeks now. My topic today is 5 Things I Like About Brussels.

1. Orange juice machines. On our third day in Brussels, during a trip to a local deli for lunch, we came across a juicing machine with oranges sitting inside, and about 30 clear plastic bottles to fill with freshly squeezed OJ. Me and my dad each got a bottle, and had delicious orange juice in 20 seconds. I wonder why we don't have these awesome machines in America?

2. Stroopwaffles. A few years ago, one of the students introduced these delicious cookies to my family, and we found a package of them yesterday which we ate with our lunch. Unfortunately, they're not available in the U.S. Stroopwaffles are made up of two thin wafer cookies with caramel in between them, and are usually eaten with coffee.

3. The buildings. When we arrived in Brussels on the train, one of the things I noticed first was the buildings. The houses are all different styles, shapes, and sizes, very different than some of the cookie cutter neighborhoods in California. Old brick red buildings with stone balconies are squished next to new white stone buildings and grey buildings with multicolored stained glass windows.

4. The restaurants. If you walk down one of the streets here, you will see many different types of restaurants. Moroccan, Italian, African and French, Sushi, Pizza, Teahouses, and Delis. There are lots of different types of food here, and we have all enjoyed trying the new cuisine.

5. The flowers. We recently visited the Grand Hall, and saw many different and interesting flower arrangements. One of my favorite ones was a bunch of Coke cans with flowers growing out of them. I have also seen quite a few tiny white flowers growing in the streets of the city, as well as in our backyard.

Well, that's all that I can think to write about, hopefully I'll get an opportunity to blog again soon.
-Cait M.
P.S. Sorry if I somehow posted this wrong, the instructions are all in Dutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment