Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fireworks

Good morning to all!
 If you could see my eyes this morning, they would be drooping, probably with bright purple bags. Last night, we endured what appeared to be a bombing of Odense. However, it turned out to merely be the people of Denmark celebrating Hans Christian Andersen. This came complete with fireworks, concerts, and screaming people. I actually like that they have created a festival around Andersen. It's quite charming that they take such pride in their literary figures. When I first saw the signs for the festival, however, I was imagining a much more historical, quiet, 19th century type of affair. I was very wrong. That being said, so much hubub over the writer of fairytales makes me automatically like the Danish people.
This morning some of us went to the H.C. Andersen museum. They have a library of his translated works, personality descriptions, and many of his personal possestions. Overall, the museum gave an amazing feel for what type of person he was. I don't want to try to describe it to you though. A description would never suffice, and I would probably unknowingly tarnish his image. However, I will say that he was sometimes passionate, sometimes reserved, his favorite color was blue, and the museum said he was "ugly." 

Excerpt from The Melodies of the Heart:
                       
"It is a legend - an adventure, 
Every mussel-creature, 
That builds in the sea so deep, 
When a pearl's created its life no longer can keep, 
Oh, love! - for you my heart will yearn and vie, 
And so, the pearl's creator is destined to die."
H.C. Andersen

Brilliant. 

In the later afternoon we explored the town. I like that it has a much smaller feel than Paris or Brussels. The people here also seem to be more friendly. Much to my delight I have been asked for directions in Dutch twice, and had several people try to start up conversation in Dutch. It makes me feel less touristy... just so long as I stick to saying Hai, nej, ya, and 'un-skuul' (I don't know how that is spelled though). The second I actually talk, however, its all over. 
Laura and I must go for a run and so a bid you "farvel!" (fah-vel)




No comments:

Post a Comment